Tips - How to choose your bedding? Our complete guide
Mattress, box spring, duvet and pillows ... So many elements that participate directly in the quality of your sleep. To get up in great shape (and without back), it is essential to adapt them to your needs. Our advice for making the best choice.
Choose the right mattress
Who has never dreamed of a mattress worthy of a hotel room? On average, we spend a third of our life in our bed. It is therefore essential to invest in a model adapted to your needs by taking into account three criteria: support, reception and dimensions.
It depends on the firmness and technology of the mattress:
- Standard or memory foam: it offers precise morphological support and appreciable fluff.
- in springs: it is recommended for its independence of sleeping, its ventilation and its resistance to weight, ideal for people with high corpulence.
- Latex: it also offers good sleeping independence. With this type of mattress, it is possible to adjust the firmness according to the areas (farm at the basin and flexible at the shoulder level for example).
A mattress has different levels of firmness: flexible, balanced (or half-far), farm or very firm. This choice depends on your physiology: we generally recommend flexible or balanced support for light sleepers and very firm support for more corpulous people.
Depending on the filling and thickness of the mattress, it can be soft or toned. The filling has a direct impact on reception comfort, but also ventilation and thermoregulation. Several materials are available according to your preferences: natural (wool, cotton or linen) or synthetic (latex or polyester wadding).
For a good size mattress, check:
- its length: it must measure at least 20 cm more than your size;
- Its width: it depends on your situation (alone or in couple) and your corpulence. For two adults, a 160 cm mattress is the minimum recommended to enjoy better freedom of movement;
- Its thickness: for your comfort, the mattress must be at least 20 cm thick.
> Read also: How to properly maintain your mattress?
Choose your box spring
Due to its role as shock absorber, the box spring plays an essential role in the comfort of your bedding. It allows you to ventilate the mattress (place of choice for mold) and thus improve its longevity. To support its weight, it must be both firm and flat.
Several types of box springs are offered:
- The slatted box spring: it is the most common. It ensures good ventilation and limits allergies caused by dust. For optimal support, a minimum of 16 slats is recommended. Whether it is fixed or flexible slats, this box spring is perfectly suited to foam and latex mattresses.
- The upholsterer: with aesthetic finishes, it stands out with a fabric - the cutle - which covers the slats or the springs. It is suitable for all types of mattresses.
- The spring box spring: it ideally completes springs mattresses and offers excellent sleeping independence.
An unsuitable pillow is often the source of morning stiffness. To bring relaxation to your muscles, choose its height and firmness according to your sleeping position:
-on the back: half-fire and half-haut pillow;
- on the side: firm and high pillow;
- on the belly: soft and low pillow;
- For cervical pain: memory pillow.
In terms of materials, it all depends on your preferences. Natural materials (feathers, duck or goose down) are appreciated for their sustainability, thermal comfort and their breathability. Synthetic materials (polyester, latex fibers or memory foam) stand out for their lightness and enveloping support.
Good to know : people allergic generally turn to a synthetic garnish. They can also opt for a natural material, provided that the feathers and duvets are sterilized (as is the case for white square pillows).